Re: BUG #15190: Build configure should have option to disableclock_gettime on MacOS 10.12 and up.

От Marc Van Olmen
Тема Re: BUG #15190: Build configure should have option to disableclock_gettime on MacOS 10.12 and up.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tom

much appreciated for quick response and detailed answer!

I found a solution based on this, so I’m adding that to this thread so anyone in the future can be helped by this.

Because I’m using "configure make" system to build and I’m using a recent released mac I can only run MacOS 10.13, I had to use some XCode legacy information to get this to work.
Because Apple has a different philosophy for their own products they want you always to build with the latests SDK (more later) but set a in minimum Deployment target.

1. From this source https://github.com/devernay/xcodelegacy I found the right technique on how to change the build options for a configure approach.
2. From this source https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases I was able to find a macos 10.9 SDK and install that on my current XCode setup.
3. Then the following configuration allowed me to compile the postgres code on MacOS 10.13 and have it run also on macOS 10.9.

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9
SDK_ROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk
CPU_ARCH=x86_64

./configure PYTHON=${PYTHON_BIN} \
        --with-python \
        --prefix="${POSTGRES_DEST_BUILD_DIR}" \
        --enable-thread-safety \
        --with-includes="${CHECKOUT_PROJECT_DIR}/build_openssl/include" \
        --with-libraries="${CHECKOUT_PROJECT_DIR}/build_openssl/lib" \
        --with-bonjour \
        --with-pgport=5507 \
        --with-openssl \
        CFLAGS="-arch ${CPU_ARCH} -mmacosx-version-min=${MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET} -isysroot ${SDK_ROOT}" \
        CXXFLAGS="-arch ${CPU_ARCH} -mmacosx-version-min=${MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET} -isysroot ${SDK_ROOT}" \
        LDFLAGS="-arch ${CPU_ARCH}" \
        LD="-arch ${CPU_ARCH} -mmacosx-version-min=${MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET}  -isysroot ${SDK_ROOT}"

This fixes the issues I was having and now it won’t use the clock_gettime function, because in that SDK it isn’t in the headers file.

Regarding Apple SDK based development:

I know it is different then other platforms and I understand it is not adopted by other platforms and I understand other building systems don’t take the same approach or don’t want to add extra specific platform build systems.

1. You basically only need the SDK for the platform you are running on,
2. You can specify the oldest OS you will deploy too.
3. but there is a catch: the behavior of your app can change depending which SDK you link to also.

So their headers are annotated then with minimum OS requirements for newly introduced functions.

Regarding clock_gettime

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/time.h

#if !defined(_DARWIN_FEATURE_CLOCK_GETTIME) || _DARWIN_FEATURE_CLOCK_GETTIME != 0
#if __DARWIN_C_LEVEL >= 199309L
#if __has_feature(enumerator_attributes)
#define __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY __OSX_AVAILABLE(10.12) __IOS_AVAILABLE(10.0) __TVOS_AVAILABLE(10.0) __WATCHOS_AVAILABLE(3.0)
#else
#define __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY
#endif

typedef enum {
_CLOCK_REALTIME __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 0,
#define CLOCK_REALTIME _CLOCK_REALTIME
_CLOCK_MONOTONIC __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 6,
#define CLOCK_MONOTONIC _CLOCK_MONOTONIC
#if !defined(_POSIX_C_SOURCE) || defined(_DARWIN_C_SOURCE)
_CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 4,
#define CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW _CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW
_CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW_APPROX __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 5,
#define CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW_APPROX _CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW_APPROX
_CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 8,
#define CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW _CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW
_CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW_APPROX __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 9,
#define CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW_APPROX _CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW_APPROX
#endif
_CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 12,
#define CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID _CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID
_CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID __CLOCK_AVAILABILITY = 16
#define CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID _CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID
} clockid_t;

__CLOCK_AVAILABILITY
int clock_getres(clockid_t __clock_id, struct timespec *__res);

__CLOCK_AVAILABILITY
int clock_gettime(clockid_t __clock_id, struct timespec *__tp);

And the compiler can then throw an error/warning if you are trying to use a function that is above your minimum deployment.
But you can also decide at runtime what functions to use, by wrapping your function calls into blocks that check for the OS version you are running on.

regards and thanks for your support again.

Marc