Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jul 12, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I feel the assumption that code is so valuable that it should be shared regardless of whether it meets conventions is
aflawed one for this project.  There are already dozens, if not hundreds, of useful patch submissions that have been
sentto this list, consumed time, and then gone nowhere because they didn't happen in a way that the community was able
tointegrate them properly.

True - but we don't want to unduly discourage potential contributors or make them afraid of posting, either.  It is for
thecommunity to decide whether the effort to clean up a patch is worthwhile, and to provide guidance on what must
change.Individual contributors shouldn't seek to take that process off-list, at least IMHO.

The main problem with this patch is not that it was submitted as a RAR of multiple diffs against 8.4.3 instead of a
singlediff against HEAD: it's that we've apparently reached GSoC midterms without making progress beyond what Peter
hackedtogether whilst sitting in an airport.

...Robert

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission
От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission