Re: Converting sql anywhere to postgres

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Converting sql anywhere to postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Aug 16, 2023, at 1:35 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/16/23 12:01, Rob Sargent wrote:
>> On 8/16/23 12:30, Guyren Howe wrote:
>>> For some reason, I was thinking the rule could see just the fields from the command, but you’re right; a rule won’t
work.Sorry.

>>> Guyren G Howe
OLD.If my original row has 'myfield' set to 'me' then I don't think I can tell the difference between:

differencebetween the two update statements

>> If the original value in the user column is "me", what is the difference between "set other_column = some_value,
user= 'me'" and "set other_column = some_value" at the business level?

> Affirmation that the user updating the record explicitly set the user value.
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Agreed.  But at the end of the day, the difference is what exactly?  Wouldn't auditing (short of sql logging) say “no
change”with respect to “me” column?

This then is a client issue, no?  There has to be two paths in the client code, one which generates an update without
“me”and one which includes “me" and the second path does not take in to account current value.  If it’s worth the
effortthe latter code path needs to be cognizant of the current state of the record (“me” column).

От: Ray O'Donnell
Сообщение: Re: Creating a TABLESPACE
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Converting sql anywhere to postgres