Re: Optimize for insertions?

От Gregory Wood
Тема Re: Optimize for insertions?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
1. Look into using the COPY command. This allows fast bulk imports.
2. Consider tweaking your transactions. If you are not using transactions
(possible considering you are migrating from MySQL), understand that
PostgreSQL creates an implicit transaction for each statement, unless an
explicit transaction is created. That means that you are dealing with the
additional overhead of 200 million transactions on top of the INSERTs
themselves. Of course, doing everything inside a single transaction can be
cumbersome too. Try stuffing a thousand or so INSERTs into a single
transaction and see if that speeds things up.
3. If you created indexes, drop them during your import, and readd them
after you've finished. Maintaining those slows things down a bit as well.

Hope this helps!

Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: Gurupartap Davis
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 4:17 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] Optimize for insertions?

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate a mysql database to postgresql.  I've got the tables
all set up, but inserting the data from the mysql dumps is taking forever.
I've got about 200 million rows in the big table (growing by about 1.5
million per day), but at the 100 inserts/second I'm getting, this will take
over 3 weeks.  MySQL on the same machine averages about 1100-1200
inserts/second (no, I'm not running them both at the same time ;-)

Any thoughts on how to tweak the postmaster for quick inserts?  I've got
fsync turned off, but that's about all I've tried so far.

I'm running postgresql 7.1.3 on Linux (Redhat 7.2 with ext3) with a  700MHz
processor, 256MB RAM, and an 80GB IDE HD

Thanks
-partap