Re: set returning function with variable argument - possible?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: set returning function with variable argument - possible?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The only way to feed another relation into a function is to place the
function in the SELECT list.  If you then want to expand the result of the
function call you alias the function result and then ".*" against it.

WITH feeder AS (
SELECT f(var) AS result FROM xtable WHERE ...
)
SELECT (feeder.result).*
FROM feeder
;

A similar query form:

SELECT f(var).* FROM xtable WHERE ...

Will cause "f" to be executed once for every column that "f" would expand
into.  For SELECT only functions this causes a performance hit (though you
do get the correct results) but if the function executes any INSERTS (or
other DDL) the result of executing each statement multiple times in the same
transaction can either cause the function to simply fail or, even worse,
succeed but cause unintended effects.

Supposedly, due to sub-query inlining, the following form is not truly safe:

SELECT (sub.field).*
FROM ( SELECT f(var) AS result FROM xtable WHERE ... ) sub

David J.