Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgAdmin3 feedback
Дата
Re: pgAdmin3 feedback  (Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@oli.tudelft.nl>)
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Jochem,

Always appreciated.

> Connecting:
> When connecting to a database as non-superuser, it shows the
> message: An error has occured:
> ERROR: pg_shadow: permissin denied
> I don't think this is really an error. It is expected
> behaviour, but the
> current message might confude people. Maybe it should say
> something like
> "Insufficient permissions to enumerate users.", but it would
> be really
> neat if the users entry in the left pane just greyed out and
> the message
> only appeared when somebody clicks on it.

I quite agree with this one, however it's a bit tricky (to do properly)
with PostgreSQL 7.3 as the message will change for localised versions,
so it's difficult to reliably detect what went wrong.

When 7.4 is at a usable state we will have a better way of doing this as
it will include error codes, alternatively we could hack it by only
enumerating users for superusers, or those with select permissions on
pg_shadow.

> Vacuum:
> It would be nice if vacuum had the option to do a verbose
> vacuum and the
> result was displayed in screen. Also, a separate button for analyze
> would be nice.

Agreed (and added to todo).

> View data:
> I really like the inline editing of data in tables. Much better then
> what it was. However, horizontal and vertical scrollbars only appear
> when I maximize the window.

Yes, we've seen this error before. A simple resize normally makes the
scrollbars appear. Andreas: did you get a chance to look at this at all?
Can we just switch the scrollbars on permanently? 99% of the time they
would probably be there anyway...

> When are you going to release an official alfa/beta version?

I was hoping we could aim to coincide with the release/beta for
PostgreSQL 7.4, but that might be a bit ambitious.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards, Dave.