Re: Memory-Bounded Hash Aggregation

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Memory-Bounded Hash Aggregation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2019-08-28 at 12:52 -0700, Taylor Vesely wrote:
> I started to review this patch yesterday with Melanie Plageman, so we
> rebased this patch over the current master. The main conflicts were
> due to a simplehash patch that has been committed separately[1]. I've
> attached the rebased patch.

Great, thanks!

> I was playing with the code, and if one of the table's most common
> values isn't placed into the initial hash table it spills a whole lot
> of tuples to disk that might have been avoided if we had some way to
> 'seed' the hash table with MCVs from the statistics. Seems to me that
> you would need some way of dealing with values that are in the MCV
> list, but ultimately don't show up in the scan. I imagine that this
> kind of optimization would most useful for aggregates on a full table
> scan.

Interesting idea, I didn't think of that.

> Some questions:
>
> Right now the patch always initializes 32 spill partitions. Have you
> given
> any thought into how to intelligently pick an optimal number of
> partitions yet?

Yes. The idea is to guess how many groups are remaining, then guess how
much space they will need in memory, then divide by work_mem. I just
didn't get around to it yet. (Same with the costing work.)

> By add-on approach, do you mean to say that you have something in
> mind
> to combine the two strategies? Or do you mean that it could be
> implemented
> as a separate strategy?

It would be an extension of the existing patch, but would add a fair
amount of complexity (dealing with partial states, etc.) and the
benefit would be fairly modest. We can do it later if justified.

> That said, I think it's worth mentioning that with parallel
> aggregates
> it might actually be more useful to spill the trans values instead,
> and have them combined in a Gather or Finalize stage.

That's a good point.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis