Re: CVE-2019-9193 about COPY FROM/TO PROGRAM

От Jeremy Schneider
Тема Re: CVE-2019-9193 about COPY FROM/TO PROGRAM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/2/19 05:35, Brad Nicholson wrote:
> A blog post would be nice, but it seems to me have something about this
> clearly in the manual would be best, assuming it's not there already.  I
> took a quick look, and couldn't find anything.

For the record, I don't see any warnings at all in the Oracle docs about
this. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think it's exactly the same
situation there - anyone with full administrative privileges can use
DBMS_SCHEDULER to run OS executables. And I don't think there's a way to
configure Oracle to disable this for people logging in over the network
with administrative privileges.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/arpls/DBMS_SCHEDULER.html#GUID-F41A5779-1915-4D5D-A7F5-87727320B742

I'm all for having clear documentation about the security model in
PostgreSQL, but I personally wouldn't be in favor of adding extra
wording to the docs just to pacify concerns about a CVE which may have
been erroneously granted by an assigning authority, who possibly should
have done better due diligence reviewing the content. Particularly if
there's any possibility that the decision to assign the number can be
appealed/changed, though admittedly I know very little about the CVE
process.

Or if this is a legitimate CVE, and if I'm remembering correctly about
Oracle, then maybe the CVE needs to be expanded to cover that database too?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Database Engineer