Re: Case sensitivity when searching for and displaying data

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Case sensitivity when searching for and displaying data
Дата
Список pgsql-php
> I've gotten a simple PHP search page working on the artists database that
> I've been developing these past few months, but I'm running into a few
> problems with PostgreSQL's case sensitivity.

No, you've been used to MySQL case insensitity methinks...

> Ideally I'd like the search text to case insensitive, so that if the user
> enters "jane smith", "Jane Smith" or "JANE SMITH", they'll still find the
> record for Jane Smith. But I'm not sure how to do that.

Use ILIKE:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE name ILIKE 'jane smith';

Or LOWER:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE LOWER(name) = LOWER('JANE SMITH');

(it'll help you to make a functional index in this case)

> Secondly, the case sensitivity thing is also messing up the order of the
> displayed results. Right now I have them set to order by lastname, and
that
> makes any names that begin with a lower case character come at the end of
> the list because of the order of the ASCII values of the letters, rather
> than where they would normally be in alphabetical order. Does anyone know
if
> there's a way around this?

Use LOWER:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE LOWER(name) = LOWER('JANE SMITH') ORDER BY
LOWER(name);

Chris

В списке pgsql-php по дате отправления: