db grows and grows

От Bjoern Metzdorf
Тема db grows and grows
Дата
Re: db grows and grows  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: db grows and grows  (terry@greatgulfhomes.com)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a 3 GB (fs based) large pgdata directory. I regularly do vacuums
every 15 minutes and vacuums with analyzing every night.

After dumping the whole db (pg_dump -c db), dropping and creating the db,
reinserting the dump and vacuuming again, my pgdata directory only contains
1 GB. The dump had no errors, all data has been saved and reinserted.

The xlogs/clogs didnt take up 2 GB, so I am wondering what has happened.

Shouldn't the vacuuming take care of this?

A (desired) sideeffect is, that the postmaster runs much faster now. Queries
get executed much faster.

If I compare the relpages from before and after, I see the difference there
also.

Any hints?

Greetings,
Bjoern