Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off

От Bill Bartlett
Тема Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Agreed - never said it wasn't.  But putting time into changing to
something else is time that I just won't have for the foreseeable
future.

> > See other reply -- I'm not complaining that Outlook is
> broken but rather
> > that the misuse of this flag slows down my workflow.  The
> issue is that
>
> I think, you have any other problems with this crappy software. For
> instance, Outlook can't group messages by Message-IDs (Treading). For
> mailing-lists IMHO a no-go.

Agreed - but I'm not debating the merits of Outlook.  It's a tool that
does a job, and for all its faults, for what I need right now and for
the very limited time I have avaiable, it does the job.

> > > And yes: there are any email-software available, without
> > > problems. Including Windows.
> >
> > Hmm ... I still use "Pine" on some of my really old Linux
> boxes -- does
> > this count?  (Useful for reading CRON output...)
>
> Pine isn't a solution, mutt is a solution for instance. KMail is a
> solution, and Thunderbird, both for Linux and Windows.
> (and any other software, i'm a mutt-user)

Again, for what I need and how I need to use it, pine is a perfectly
good solution that works (although in looking at cone, that definitely
looks like a much better solution).  For the specific cases where I use
pine, neither KMail nor Thunderbird is a workable solution at all, since
I need to use a console-mode mail reader running on remote servers being
accessed via SSH and without being able to forward X-Windows so anything
graphical is out.  (I always need to match an appropriate solution to
the problem, and part of that is realizing that one single solution does
not always fit every problem.)

> > > Please, don't beat me if this header are still in this
> > > message, the problem is work in progress... i'm not sure if i
> > > change the config properly.
> >
> > Yes, it's working properly now.  MUCH thanks!
>
> No problem, but i'm not sure, if this the right way. YOU
> can't force all
> other people to omit things that make problems in your crappy
> software.
> And: YOU renounce for nice feature in modern software...

Never mind -- it's not that big a deal, certainly not as much as
everyone has turned it into.  I assumed that this would be a simple
request about a simple problem, but I didn't realize I'd have to spend
so much time trying to justify to so many people on the listserv the
tools I have to use to do my job.  (btw: The heading is back on in this
reply, so there must be some other setting somewhere in your mail
program that needs to be tweaked.  But don't worry about trying to
change anything else -- my effort involved in correcting the misdirected
emails is probably less than your effort in trying to configure
different headers for different groups, so I wouldn't want you to waste
any more time on it.)

Anyway - to those people still slogging through this thread who haven't
moved on to something more productive: no more emails on this please;
I'm done with this subject.  (Makes me have to think twice about raising
any _real_ issues though, like why my VACUUMs periodically keep getting
into lock contentions with my JDBC connections and ultimately causing me
to have to shut down Postgres w/ "pg_ctl stop -m immediate", or how to
properly handle postmaster errors that don't appear to be documented
anywhere except in the source code...  [No, it's not the absolutely most
recent version of Postgres; No, I can't upgrade it.])

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq