Re: using calculated column in where-clause

От Fernando Hevia
Тема Re: using calculated column in where-clause
Дата
Re: using calculated column in where-clause  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql

Take a look at this example (tried on 8.2.7 & 8.1.11):

create or replace function test(p1 integer, p2 integer) returns integer[] as
$BODY$
declare  retval   integer[];
begin  raise info 'called test(%, %)', p1, p2;  retval[0] = p1 + p2;  retval[1] = p1 * p2;  retval[2] = p1 - p2;
returnretval;
end;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE;

-- In this case function test is called three times:
pg=# select (test(1, 2))[0] as sum, (test(1, 2))[1] as prod, (test(1, 2))[2]
as dif;
INFO:  called test(1, 2)
INFO:  called test(1, 2)
INFO:  called test(1, 2)sum | prod | dif
-----+------+-----  3 |    2 |  -1
(1 row)

-- In this case function test is called only once:
pg=# select res[0] as sum, res[1] as prod, res[2] as dif from
pg-# (select (test(1, 2))::integer[] as res) t ;
INFO:  called test(1, 2)sum | prod | dif
-----+------+-----  3 |    2 |  -1
(1 row)

I assume the second form will perform better since test is being called only
once.
I might be missing something in this assumption but at first glance it seems
pretty straightforward.

Regards,
Fernando.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: using calculated column in where-clause
Сообщение: Re: using calculated column in where-clause