{ SELECT *->NOT(column1, column2) FROM table } syntax idea

От David Johnston
Тема { SELECT *->NOT(column1, column2) FROM table } syntax idea
Дата
Re: { SELECT *->NOT(column1, column2) FROM table } syntax idea
Список pgsql-general

Is there, or has there ever been, a discussion about introducing syntax to handle specifying which columns you do NOT want to output in the SELECT list?

The use case I am running into is mostly within VIEWS.  I want to specify “SELECT * FROM table” but there are a couple of fields that I do NOT want to output (for instance a password hash field for a user table).  I guess it would probably be better form to move those columns to a separate enhanced permissions table but since PostgreSQL allows for per-column permissions that is not strictly necessary.  Listing all the wanted columns is not desirable though obviously possible.  The main reason to avoid doing so is to allow for a view to output all the columns of the underlying tables.  If I drop/create the view after altering the underlying tables the new view will have the additional columns without any direct change to the view being required.

David J.