Re: comments in argument list of plpgsql get stripped?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: comments in argument list of plpgsql get stripped?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
[[[ My response embedded ]]]

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Graulich [mailto:maillist@shauny.de]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 3:24 PM
To: David Johnston
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] comments in argument list of plpgsql get stripped?

Hi David,

> The fact that you can write comments in the middle of the arguments in
> an artifact of the parser and likely there is not reasonable way to
> get them to persist.

"Artifact" as in "something not normally used"?

[[[ Maybe "by-product" is a better term; basically the parser HAS TO remove
the "--" comments and embedded newlines before it can properly parse the
names/types of the input arguments ]]]

> You either want to use "COMMENT ON" like Raymond said or you can
> simply move the comments into the body of the function.

I already use the COMMENT ON to give each function a general description, an
overview of what it does, which - imho - fits the scope of the COMMENT ON
being a comment on the whole function, rather than a particular part of,
like the body, part of the body or the argument list.

As I showed in my example the comments within the function body gets stored
and retrieved like one usually expects. Up until investigating whether I can
put comments on the arguments directly in the argument list, I stored all
this information at the head of the body, where the audit trail of the
function body lives, too. However I thought about putting all the stuff
where it logically belongs, to have a sound design.

[[[  Agreed, your desire represents a technically superior situation ]]]

> The relevant table
> that stores the function stores everything except the body as
> individual fields so that it can facilitate dependency tracking and
> type verification, etc...  In order to do this the input needs to be
> stripped of all comments and newlines/control-characters so that only
> syntactically meaningful content remains.

I see your point and now understand the reason why PostgreSQL behaves the
way it does, that is: stripping the comments from the argument list, storing
the comments within the function body.

> The fundamental issue is that the input arguments to a function are
> stored as an array on pg_proc and thus to do not have their own OID
> with which to link onto pg_description.
>
> The fundamental question is by what means do you expect to be able to
> view and/or modify these comments?

As PostgreSQL silently accepts these comments in the argument list, I
expected them to be retrievable later on, not caring how and where they are
stored, but believing that they are stored.
I fully understand that for the ease of parsing and having a "usable"
argument list, PostgreSQL stores the argument list internally differently
than the argument list is presented to the user and I don't dare to argue
about it, because I accept the fact and assume it's not only to due
performance, but also to be able to use this meta information in the
database dictionary to write queries about it (something I appreciate!).

[[[ PostgreSQL recognizes that after removing the comments and associated
newlines that the rest of your command is still valid; but it doesn't
"accept" the comments per-se.  The ONLY comments that PostgreSQL "accepts"
are those created via "COMMENT ON" and those comments must be associated
with an OID/Object.  The comments in your function body are not accessible
from any PostgreSQL provided API but they remain simply because the entire
function body is treated as a single string with only syntax validation
performed before the record is committed. ]]]

> Feel free to provide thoughts and suggestions regarding how core could
> be modified to fit your intended use-case but I would offer that
> unless you are willing to fund and/or do the work that it isn't going
> to get much attention due apparent need to modify the catalogs and
> introduce a total new way of dealing with comments.  It is not the
> current policy of PostgreSQL to capture and store original DDL but
> instead it parsers the DDL into the needed catalog entries and then
recombines the entries into a "normalized"
> form when necessary (e.g., for pg_dump).

Well, first of all it was important to me to know that in fact I did the
right thing and PostgreSQL behaves as expected, not making an obvious
mistake on the syntax of comments.
Futhermore, now that I know its the expected way, I know how to circumvent
it, looking for other means of documenting the argument list in a sound way,
like including the comments at the head of the function's body, like I
already did.

Second, not knowing about the internals of the comment system of PostgreSQL
and how argument lists are handled: -

How about having something like:

I) COMMENT ON <function> (arglist-qualifier).<argumentname> IS '<comment>';
(or something similar)

and

II) Having PostgreSQL issuing a NOTICE that "comments get stripped" if you
use comments somewhere where PostgreSQL accepts them, but discards them
silently?

Best regards,
  Ralph

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

I) Makes sense but given that no existing code uses that syntax the
necessary benefit needed to overcome the overhead of introducing new syntax
is considerable.

II) Not going to happen and really isn't needed.  The rule is that "--"
comments are ALWAYS silently discarded (i.e., there is no mechanism to
retrieve those comments via database functions and/or views).  The way the
function body is stored is no different than if I write " INSERT INTO
testable (col1) VALUES ('-- comment'); " - testable.col1 now has a literal
value of "-- comment" stored within it because it is content and not a
comment.  The reason why it looks like a comment within a function body is
that the function body value is used by an execution/evaluation engine to
actually run internal code and that process - not the "CREATE FUNCTION"
interpreter - is the one that interprets that particular string sequence as
a comment.

David J.

От: Jasen Betts
Сообщение: Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL
От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: Is Synchronous Postgresql Replication Slower Than Asynchronous?