Re: Fw: select null + 0 question

От Vincent Hikida
Тема Re: Fw: select null + 0 question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
OK. This has been bothering me. I finally recreated what I remember as an
anomoly in Oracle involving nulls. It also works the same way in PostgreSQL.
I guess in mind I extrapolated that there was a problem with "WHERE 1 IN
(1,2,NULL)" which there isn't.

The following is  my query in 9i:

SQL> select 1 from dual where 2 not in (1,null);
no rows selected

The following is in PostgreSQL:

select 1 where 2 not in (1,null)
?column?
------------
(0 rows)

Of course this is just a simple test. The actual query that was being used
when we found the anomoly was more practical:

select ... from tablex where x.a not in (select y.a from tabley);

We finally did something like this to get what we wanted:

select .. from tablex where not exists (select null from tabley where y.a =
x.a);

Now that I think about it a little, SQL does make sense. We are sure that "1
is in (1,2,NULL)". However we cannot be sure that in 3 is not in (1,2, NULL)
because the NULL maybe 3 (if you interpret null as being unknown). However,
the SQL does not work if you have other interpretations of NULL (e.g. Null
means not applicable, Null means divide by 0).

Vincent Hikida,
Member of Technical Staff - Urbana Software, Inc.
"A Personalized Learning Experience"

www.UrbanaSoft.com