Re: maximum size limit for a query string?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: maximum size limit for a query string?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

What kind of use-case would generate that large of a query?

Also, are we talking simply about the query as passed to PostgreSQL or the
fully re-written query?  If your query is that long you better already be
using views or it is likely to be impossible to read.  Further, unless you
have way too many columns the query planner and rewriter are more likely to
choke on the query than any kind of simple IO or memory constraint.

Oh, and if you need 16MB because you are using "one table to rule them all"
with 500 self-joins then a database crash is really doing you favor...

I guess I could see a query of the form:

INSERT INTO table (a) VALUES (16mb of content);

In fact, that is probably more of what is being asked...as opposed to 16MB
select query...anyway...

David J.