Re: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.

От Achilleas Mantzios - cloud
Тема Re: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.
Дата
Ответ на Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.  (Dmitry O Litvintsev <litvinse@fnal.gov>)
Список pgsql-general
hi

On 6/20/24 10:23, Dmitry O Litvintsev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of migrating DB to Alma9 host. The databse
> is rather large - few TBs.
>
> I have run pg_basebackup on Alma9 host and established replication from production to it. The idea is to quickly
switchfrom master to this new host during downtime.

> Establishing replication went fine. Source postgresql version is 15.6, destination is 15.7

You mean physical replication or logical ? In case of logical how did
you initdb ?

Did you build postgresql from source or using a RH package ?

sorry for not being able to provide anything helpful.

> When I psql into replica I get:
>
> WARNING:  database "xxx" has a collation version mismatch
> DETAIL:  The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.
> HINT:  Rebuild all objects in this database that use the default collation and run ALTER DATABASE xxx REFRESH
COLLATIONVERSION, or build PostgreSQL with the right library version.

> Looking up the issue the solution seems to be
>
>    REINDEX database xxx
>    ALTER DATABASE xxx REFRESH COLLATION VERSION
>
> But this defeats the whole idea of having short downtime because REINDEX will take forever.
>
> What is this "or build PostgreSQL with the right library version"?
> Is this about 15.7 vs 15.6 or is it about different glibc version between RH7 and Alma9?
>
> Is there a better way to handle it? I cannot afford long downtime.
> This came up rather unexpectedly and I am now in a tight situation having to find solution fast. I do not recall
havingsimilar issue when going from RH6 to RH7.

От: Dmitry O Litvintsev
Сообщение: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.
От: Kenneth Barber
Сообщение: Re: Help. The database was created using collation version 2.17, but the operating system provides version 2.34.