constraints for ensuring relationships

От Markus Wagner
Тема constraints for ensuring relationships
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi,

I wonder if I can use constraints to ensure some special integrity.

Suppose there is a table "Type" of item types:

CREATE TABLE "Type"
("index"    SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,"name"     TEXT,"multiple" BOOL
);

Suppose there is a table "Item" like this:

CREATE TABLE "Item"
("index"    SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,"type"     INT REFERENCES "Type","data"     TEXT
);

Supose there is a table "SubItem" that contains special details about our
items:

CREATE TABLE "SubItem"
("index" SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,"Item"  INT REFERENCES "Item","Data"  TEXT
);

And now the constraint:

Each Item should be allowed to have more than one subitem, if and only if its
type allows for multiple instances, i. e. the type the item is linked to must
have 't' in its field 'multiple'.

Can I attach constraints to some of the tables (e. g. "SubItem") that ensure
this?

Thanks a lot!

Markus

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: