Re: CIDR in pg_hba.conf

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: CIDR in pg_hba.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Amazing the amount of mail a tiny thing like this generates ;-)

Here's what I intend to do:

. for now, just CIDR, no DNS names, which can easily be added later (like
next week)
. The syntax will be either the current syntax (address space
old-style-mask) or standard CIDR notation (address slash maskbits).
. The constructed mask for CIDR will have the same family (AF_INET or
AF_INET6) as the address, but will otherwise be independent of it (unlike
squid, apparently - see below).

I have a couple of questions about portability etc., that some folks here
might be able to answer:
. can I rely on the availability of htonl() ?
. am I correct in assuming that the the leftmost parts of
in6.sin6_addr.s6_addr are the network portion of the address?

If the answer is yes to both, I'm just about finished coding this. I don't
have an IPv6 environment for testing, though.

The mask constructor is a new function in ip.c with this signature:

int
SockAddr_cidr_mask(SockAddr *mask, char *numbits, int family)

I can easily call it something else, though :-)

Regarding DNS names:
. I can't see any reason not to allow netmasks for named addresses, in
either the old form or CIDR.
. Using *any* form of host based auth on the Internet is dangerous - DNS
just adds one more element of danger to the mix, and I am uninclined to do
handstands trying to mitigate the risk for people who should probably be
using SSL and other strong auth.
. the major advantage I see would be within an enterprise, especially where
DHCP is used, to restrict the db to certain workstations.

cheers

andrew