Re: (check) constraints on composite type

От David Johnston
Тема Re: (check) constraints on composite type
Дата
Re: (check) constraints on composite type  (Ralph Graulich <maillist@shauny.de>)
Список pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Ralph Graulich
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:30 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] (check) constraints on composite type

Are there any plans to have this feature implemented in the near future?

------------------------------------

Sorry for not answering the main question but you really need to avoid
phrases like "near future".  That said, new features are only released
during major releases and so at best you would have to wait for 9.2 which is
probably 9+ months out since 9.1 was just recently released.  The better
question is whether 9.2 is likely to have what you need or whether it has a
chance to be during 9.3 (1.5+ years out).  More generically the question is
whether anyone is currently working on the feature.

I have be over-complicating since "near future" may simply mean "the next
release" but being avoids the back-and-forth required to make sure
expectations are matched.

You do have other options depending on how critical such a feature is to
you.  There are possibly workarounds that can be implemented or you can
always commission the work and request a back-port to 9.1 with future
inclusion into 9.2 (or 9.3 is feature freeze has taken effect).

Just saying - though I am not involved with development efforts.

David J.