RE: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index?

От Mike Mascari
Тема RE: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I would guess that the optimizer is choosing a sequential scan when
the country is CANADA because the number of rows fetched as a
percentage of total rows would warrant it. For example, country =
'CANADA' might be true for %30 of the total rows whereas STATE = 'ON'
might only represent 2%, and thus the index scan.

The EXPLAIN shows estimates and an excellent explanation of them can
be found here:

http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/user/c4884.htm#AEN
4889

Hope that helps,