RE: extremely newbie questions

От Michael Davis
Тема RE: extremely newbie questions
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
1) You need to create a Data Source Name (DSN) using the ODBC driver
manager.  This can be done by opening ODBC32 in the Control Panel.  Once
this is done, Access will allow you add tables via your new ODBC data
source.  You should have a primary key installed on each table.

2) With Access you can databases that store data and databases that store
code and reference the data.  If you are using code, then just link to the
PostgreSQL tables as described above and they will look and act exactly
like Access tables.  You can even link Access table to PostgreSQL tables
using Access.  If you are referring to data stored in Access97, then
PostgreSQL will not be able to access this data directly.  You will have to
export your Access data and import it into PostgreSQL.

3) Looks like you did not do item 1 above and you choose a Data Source for
another database.  If you complete item 1 above, and select it as your data
source, then it should work.

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From:    Nicholas Chan [SMTP:yumin@pl.jaring.my]
Sent:    Sunday, January 21, 2001 7:53 PM
To:    Postgresql Interfaces
Subject:    extremely newbie questions

I'm very new when it comes to databases, and I'd like to try out
pgAdmin on my Windows NT to create, configure and manage some
databases on a remote linux server.

I'm using pgAdmin 7.05 and PostgreSQL ODBC driver v6.50.00.00.
I've installed the above two as well as MDAC v2.6
And i'm running Windows NT Workstation with Service Pack v6a

1) I want to test out PostgreSQL on a windows platform, so is there  anything else I have to install other than the
software I have mentioned above? I assume that pgAdmin is something like  MSSQL server, or am I wrong? is it just a
frontend?
2) where can I find a sample database which can be used for pgAdmin?  Can any regular database created by Microsoft
Accessbe used?  (*.mdb)

3) i've tried creating a PostgreSQL ODBC connection with a Microsoft  Access database, but when I start pgAdmin and
connectto the  source i've specified, this error message appears:

Error Details
Error Number: -2147467259
Error Description: Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket.
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Subroutine of Function: frmODBCLogon, cmdOK_Click
 Any help would be very much appreciated. I can't even seem to open the main pgAdmin program! And thanks in advance.
 Warmest regards,   Nicholas Chan

Сообщение: RE: pg 7.x and Access 2000 -> #deleted error
Сообщение: Re: pg 7.x and Access 2000 -> #deleted error