RE: [INTERFACES] locking on database updates

От Gary Stainburn
Тема RE: [INTERFACES] locking on database updates
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
-----Original Message-----
From:    Tom Lane [SMTP:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent:    Tuesday, December 07, 1999 6:00 PM
To:    Ross J. Reedstrom
Cc:    Gary Stainburn; 'Pgsql Interfaces'
Subject:    Re: [INTERFACES] locking on database updates

|"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu> writes:
|> create table foo (bar serial, baz text);
|> insert into foo (baz) values ('wooble');
|> select currval('foo_bar_seq');
|
|I don't think this is safe in a multi-client environment;
|what if someone else inserts at about the same time?
|
|Better to do
|    select nextval('foo_bar_seq');
|    insert into foo values (just-retrieved-value, 'wooble');
|which is safer and probably marginally faster (since the
|sequence object is touched only once, not twice).
|
|            regards, tom lane

Perfect - exactly what I need. Another fine day at the office.
Gary Stainburn.
Work: http://www.ringways.co.uk gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk
REVCOM: http://www.revcom.dhs.org http://www.revcom.org.uk gary.stainburn@revcom.org.uk
The nice ones are always taken - anon

От: "Ross J. Reedstrom"
Сообщение: Re: [INTERFACES] locking on database updates
От: "Christian Hang"
Сообщение: ODBC and Large Objects, FAQ not working