От Joe Devlin
Тема mysql-unsubscribe@lists.mysql.com
Дата
Список pgsql-general

----------
From:     The Hermit Hacker[SMTP:scrappy@hub.org]
Sent:     Sunday, October 03, 1999 5:39 PM
To:     Martin Ramsch
mcgarry@tig.com.au
Subject:     Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Martin Ramsch wrote:

> What I like about the MySQL developers (and the MySQL Manual) is that
> they--as far as I know them--never try to devalue other products but
> just state what's there, what's not there, for what kind of
> applications MySQL fits best, for which not, and how to work around
> given limitaions, if possible.  In short:  they are objective.

Oh ya, they are sooooo objective, just take a look at their benchmarks to
see how objective they are.

> > The bottom line from my perspective is that the benchmark is really
> > intended not as a fair comparison, but to make MySQL look good.
>
> Hmm, I really wonder what makes you think so?
> What is not fair about this comparison?

Well, let's start with the fact that, as far as I'm aware, the benchmark
uses the 'latest and greatest' version of MySQL (as it should), but
doesn't take the time to upgrade the other databases?  Last I checked,
they were still using PostgreSQL v6.4.2, which has been dead for almost a
year now?  By not updating that one thing, its easy to show how bad
PostgreSQL is in comparision...hell, *we* think PostgreSQL v6.4.2 is bad,
that's why we don't run it...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org