От Joe Devlin
Тема [PHP3] mysql-unsubscribe@lists.mysql.com
Дата
Список pgsql-general

----------
From:     Bruce Momjian[SMTP:maillist@candle.pha.pa.us]
Sent:     Sunday, October 03, 1999 3:30 PM
To:     The Hermit Hacker
postgresql-general;php3@lists.php.net
Subject:     Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

> What do/are the MySQL folks using for test data?  maybe start off with
> what they are using to time MySQL and then look at how PostgreSQL can do
> it, maybe differently?
>
> Is there somewhere where the MySQL benchmarks can be downloaded from,
> including teh data?

Let me address my recollection of that discussion.  The basic issue is
that MySQL is somewhat faster because they don't have any
transactions/rollback capability, no user-defined types, and are SQL
built on top of an ISAM-type file with the indexes inbedded in the file,
so to add an index requires rebuilding the table.

Second, the MySQL folks don't mention the features they _don't_ have,
except now they mention they don't have transactions.

The bottom line from my perspective is that the benchmark is really
intended not as a fair comparison, but to make MySQL look good.

This upset me, but the increasing growth of PostgreSQL and the awards we
have won make me suspect that people are smarter than we think, and have
figured out where MySQL is strongest, and where PostgreSQL is strongest.

[I see this is going to MySQL mailing lists, so this may start a
discussion all over again.]