RE: [INTERFACES] error message

От JT Kirkpatrick
Тема RE: [INTERFACES] error message
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
i do have a few fields (combo boxes based on a query) that sorted on a
calculated field -- but they seem to work fine in other forms.  --don't
think that was it.  but, based on your postulations i re-did a few of the
queries to NOT sort on the calculated fields.  still bombed though. . . so, i deleted the link to the particular table,
andthen re-linked to it,

and to my surprise, i can now pull up the form without it bombing.  i can
even zip through all the records (36k of them) if i wish.  but now it still
has a problem -- the recordset is not updateable.  if i open the table
directly (not through any query, and again, from within access97, pgsql
6.4.2), the table itself is not updateable.  the table DOES have a primary
key -- a DUAL FIELD primary key.  I found over the last few weeks that
Access97 will treat any ODBC table without a primary key defined as not
updateable, but will it also do the same for DUAL FIELD primary key ODBC
tables??  it appears so, but can anyone confirm it??

jt

-----Original Message-----
From:    Jose Soares [SMTP:jose@sferacarta.com]
Sent:    Tuesday, May 04, 1999 8:42 AM
To:    JT Kirkpatrick; hackers
Subject:    Re: [INTERFACES] error message

JT Kirkpatrick ha scritto:

> hi, i'm using access97 linked to postgres(6.4.2) tables through the new
> v.6.4 odbc.  i can open a form, it shows me data for an initial record,
and
> then bombs.  here is the message in the log file -- i can't figure out
why
> it is bombing.  does anyone have a clue??  do those "-" or "/" in various
> "vinvnum" fields cause problems??  it shows valid data first, waits for a
> second, and then bombs!

I had a similar error when I tried to order retrieved data by a field not
in
the table or a calculated field.
Seems that Access request an order by a field with an unknown type.
I can emulate a similar message as:

select 'AAAAAA' union select 'ZZZZZZ' order by 1 asc;
ERROR:  Unable to identify a binary operator '>' for types unknown and
unknown

select 'aaaaaa' union select 'zzzzzz' order by 1;
ERROR:  Unable to identify a binary operator '<' for types unknown and
unknown

May be we need a default for UNKNOWN types (what do you think Thomas, if we
make unknown type =  text type?)

Any way. Try these functions:

create function unknown_lt(unknown,unknown) returns bool as
'declare       i1 text;       i2 text;
begin       i1:= $1;       i2:= $2;       return (i1 < i2);
end; ' language 'plpgsql';
CREATE

create operator < (       leftarg=unknown,       rightarg=unknown,       procedure=unknown_lt,       commutator='<',
  negator='>=',       restrict=eqsel,       join=eqjoinsel       );

CREATE

create function unknown_gt(unknown,unknown) returns bool as
'declare       i1 text;       i2 text;
begin       i1:= $1;       i2:= $2;       return (i1 > i2);
end; ' language 'plpgsql';
CREATE
create operator > (       leftarg=unknown,       rightarg=unknown,       procedure=unknown_gt,       commutator='>',
  negator='<=',       restrict=eqsel,       join=eqjoinsel       );

CREATE

select 'AAAAAA' union select 'ZZZZZZ' order by 1 asc;
?column?
--------
AAAAAA
ZZZZZZ
(2 rows)

select 'aaaaaa' union select 'zzzzzz' order by 1 desc;
?column?
--------
zzzzzz
aaaaaa
(2 rows)

EOF

PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.3
Jose'