Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(

От Andreas Zeugswetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I have an idea.  Can he run CLUSTER on the data?  If so, the sort will
> not use small batches, and the disk space during sort will be reduced.

I think a real winner would be to use an existing index. This is what others do
to eliminate a sort completely. Of course the optimizer has to choose what is cheaper
on a per query basis (index access or sort of result set).
result set small --> use sort
result set large --> use available index

Andreas