Re: [HACKERS] Decicision needed for connect statement

От Andreas Zeugswetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Decicision needed for connect statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The : is used in Informix as the delimiter to a remote tablename like:
    dns@dns1ifx:dnstab
but I like the look of your dbname syntax.

I think it might still be a good Idea to start using a connection file like
Informix (sqlhosts) and Oracle (tnsnames.ora) use it, so we could have short names
for our Instances and a flexible way to add additional config options in this file.

Informix has:
# shortname    protocol        hostname    service        additional
zeusifx         onsoctcp     zeus         sqlexec
zeusifxshm     onipcshm     zeus         zeusifxshm
zvrentifx     onsoctcp     a1880104     sqlexec7

Therefore:
    connect to dbname@shortname

Andreas

The say the connect statement has to have the following form:

CONNECT TO <SQL-server> [AS <connection name>] [USER <user name>]

It is implementation dependant how to get database name, server name resp.
number and port number from SQL-server. How will we do this?

How about this?

Each missing entry will be set to the default value:
template1@localhost:5432.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20