AW: [HACKERS] Reference Guide (binary cursor)

От Zeugswetter Andreas
Тема AW: [HACKERS] Reference Guide (binary cursor)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>      My question is:
>            I can't see any difference between BINARY and normal cursors.
>            Does it works ?
>
>                                                            Thanks, Jose'

Yes, this works. The difference is, that for a binary cursor, the column values are not
passed through the type output function. You therefore get the internal representation for a type.
The internal representation is Platform specific, so pay attention when you use a binary cursor
on client x running on hardware y from vendor z accessing a server on hardware a from vendor b.
e.g. for an integer column, you get a C integer number using a binary cursor, whilst you get a
string value like '12345' using the non binary cursor.

Andreas