Re: Restart pg_usleep when interrupted

От Sami Imseih
Тема Re: Restart pg_usleep when interrupted
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I'm imagining something like this:

   struct timespec delay;
   TimestampTz end_time;

   end_time = TimestampTzPlusMilliseconds(GetCurrentTimestamp(), msec);

   do
   {
       long        secs;
       int         microsecs;

       TimestampDifference(GetCurrentTimestamp(), end_time,
                           &secs, &microsecs);

       delay.tv_sec = secs;
       delay.tv_nsec = microsecs * 1000;

   } while (nanosleep(&delay, NULL) == -1 && errno == EINTR);

I do agree that this is cleaner code, but I am not sure I like this.

1/ TimestampDifference has a dependency on gettimeofday,
while my proposal utilizes clock_gettime. There are old discussions
that did not reach a conclusion comparing both mechanisms.
My main conclusion from these hacker discussions [1], [2] and other
online discussions on the topic is clock_gettime should replace
getimeofday when possible. Precision is the main reason.

2/ It no longer uses the remain time. I think the remain time
is still required here. I did a unrealistic stress test which shows
the original proposal can handle frequent interruptions much better.

#1 in one session kicked off a vacuum

    set vacuum_cost_delay = 10;
    set vacuum_cost_limit = 1;
    set client_min_messages = log;
    update large_tbl set version = 1;
    vacuum (verbose, parallel 4) large_tbl;

#2 in another session, ran a loop to continually
interrupt the vacuum leader. This was during the
“heap scan” phase of the vacuum.

PID=< pid of vacuum leader >
while :
do
    kill -USR1 $PID
done

Using the proposed loop with the remainder, I noticed that
the actual time reported remains close to the requested
delay time.

LOG:  10.000000,10.013420

LOG:  10.000000,10.011188

LOG:  10.000000,10.010860

LOG:  10.000000,10.014839

LOG:  10.000000,10.004542

LOG:  10.000000,10.006035

LOG:  10.000000,10.012230

LOG:  10.000000,10.014535

LOG:  10.000000,10.009645

LOG:  10.000000,10.000817

LOG:  10.000000,10.002162

LOG:  10.000000,10.011721

LOG:  10.000000,10.011655

Using the approach mentioned by Nathan, there

are large differences between requested and actual time.

LOG:  10.000000,17.801778

LOG:  10.000000,12.795450

LOG:  10.000000,11.793723

LOG:  10.000000,11.796317