SELECT INTO but append not create new table - How?

От Alan T. Miller
Тема SELECT INTO but append not create new table - How?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I have two tables. The first will contain recent records that are used on a
daily basis. The other table is identical but only exists to archive old
entries from the first table. I would like to know if there is a way in
postgreSQL to select all the old records from the first table and
automatically drop them into the second table.

I messed around with the 'INSERT INTO' SQL command, but this assumes that
the table you are 'selecting into' does not exist and you want to create
that table. My problem is that the table exists and I just want to append
the information to the archive table.

Is there a simple way to do this in SQL with PostgreSQL or am I going to
have to bring my result set out into a scripting language manipulate it
there and them do a series of INSERTS to update the archive table? This
option seems slow but perhaps the only option open to me at this point.

Any sugestions?

Alan