Re: odd jdbc driver synchronization issue

От George Lessmann
Тема Re: odd jdbc driver synchronization issue
Дата
Re: odd jdbc driver synchronization issue  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Oliver, all,

The original design of my test application allocated one Connection and
two CallableStatements per client (one for the parent insert and one for
the child insert). As I reported earlier, each client would then be
serialized, even though they each existed in their own
thread/connection/callablestatement.

I then refactored the application to allocate a connection per client,
and prepareCall() before every execute(). This change resulted in each
client being able to concurrently access the database, even though, in
my opinion, it violates the whole reason behind a prepareCall() which is
to reuse it often without recompilation.

So, now I have a test application which I can run against my test
Postgres server and my dev MSSQL Server box. With 5 client connections,
each inserting 1100 rows from 1100 function calls, the Postgres/Java
test is generating around 42 executions/second. MSSQL Server/Java is
generating around 368 executions/second. I then created a sql file with
the 1100 function calls, and it ran at about 580 executions/second in a
pgAdmin III query window. That's where I would like the Postgres/JDBC
test to be at, but obviously something is amiss with the Postgres JDBC
driver. I will work on getting this test application shareable, but does
anyone else have a cross-db loadtest app using JDBC?

Any help would be appreciated; I'm off to look at the ODBC driver...

George

ps--

The Postgres test DB server is a 2x2.4GHz Xeon, 1 GB ram, 10k SCSI
mirror, debian 2.6.0-test11
The MSSQL DB server is a 1x2.8Ghz Celeron, 1 GB ram, 7200RPM IDE mirror,
ms2k adv srvr