Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

От justin
Тема Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Absolutely on the battery backup.

I did not load the linux drivers from dell,  it works so i figured i was not
going to worry about it.  This server is so oversized for its load its
unreal.  I have always gone way overboard on server specs and making sure
its redundant.

The difference in our bonnie++ numbers is interesting,  In some cases my
setup blows by yours and in other your's destroys mine.

On the raid setup.  I'm a windows guy so i setup like its windows machine
keeping the OS/logs way separate from the DATA.

I chose to use ext3 on these partition

---- Message from Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> at 03-13-2008
07:29:23 AM ------

  First, did you get the Perc 6i with battery-backed cache?  Not all
versions have it.  I found this really confusing when trying to order -- we
had to work pretty hard to figure out exactly what to order to be sure we
got this feature.  (Does anyone at Dell follow these discussions?)

  Second, Dell ships a Linux driver with this hardware, and we installed it.
I have no idea what the driver does, because I think you can run the system
without it, but my guess is that without the Dell driver, it's using the
Perc6 card in some "normal" mode that doesn't take advantage of its
capabilities.

  With a 6-disk RAID 10, you should get numbers at least in the same
ballpark as my numbers.

  Craig