Re: Seq scan

От
Тема Re: Seq scan
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am having a similar problem except that the solution below did not
help.  I have a table with about 15 million records.

    "SELECT my_field FROM my_table WHERE id=12168996"      takes
about half a minute ( 'id' is an sequential indexed field in my_table )

EXPLAIN says it is doing a Seq Scan

However, when I add ORDER BY id:

    "SELECT my_field FROM my_table WHERE id=12168996 ORDER BY id"
returns instantly

In this case, EXPLAIN says the index is used.

Now, this workaround works fine for SELECTs, but UPDATEs cause the same
problem and I cannot specify something like ORDER BY.

Why is it doing it, and how can I force it to use the index in case of
UPDATEs?  It seems to me the index should always be used in the SELECT
and UPDATE examples above!!

I am using postgres version 7.1

Thanks

-Stas