Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation

От Peter Galbavy
Тема Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> the idea is to have multiple versions of the last WAL block, meaning
> you
> write the first record of the last block, then when you want to write
> another, your disk platter has moved, so you write the first and
> second records in a new location.

But how much of this is entirely dependent on deterministic prediction of
the disk activity ?

Not only noting the way modern disks have their own write caches (most IDE
drives now come with between 2 and 8 MB), but transparent bad sector
remapping and also filesystem issues with ufs, ext2 and journalling
extensions to both.

While I believe that there is value is working towards a better coupling
between PosetgreSQL and the underlying hardware, is this approach going to
be productive in the "real" world ? Enough to spend time on it ?

Your choice mind, I am just whining.

Peter