Re: About aggregates...

От David Johnston
Тема Re: About aggregates...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Michael
Giannakopoulos
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:07 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] About aggregates...

Hello guys,

I would like to ask if there is any way to make an aggregate function to
take a set of tuples as an input variable. I know that an actual aggregate
function receives each tuple one at a time and process it on the fly.
However I want to store tuples in an incremental fashion so as to process
them in a batch approach in the finalaggr function. Think for example
implementing logistic regression (which is an OLAP query by its nature). I
want to support it with the current features that PostgreSQL provides from
which the closest feature is an aggregate. However an aggregate function
feeds me one a tuple for each call, but I would like to have access to a
batch of tuples per function call. Is there any possible way to perform
something like this?

Thank you very much for your time,
Michael

Not sure how the system would decide between (1-at-a-time) and
(everything-at-once).

The only approach I can think of would be to build out an array of "tuples"
and then have the aggregate process a single array value each time.

 As Ondrej indicates in parallel you can try making use of Windows (probably
with a FRAME definition) as well.

Hopefully this helps but I am not familiar enough with the use-case to be
more specific.

David J.