Re: serverless postgresql

От Rick Gigger
Тема Re: serverless postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Rick Gigger wrote:
> > I have just about the same sort of needs now and concluded that postgres
> > just is not suited for embedding into apps like that.
>
> Why not? It's not that the PostgreSQL backend is a mammoth like Oracle.
> The Firebird embedded version is pretty much the same as their server,
> but without network and client authentication layer.
>
> However, embedded usually demands that the backend be threaded.
> Otherwise it will be pretty useless/very inconvenient to use in many
> apps. Perhaps this is the major change that's hard to do?

I should have said that postgres isn't suited for running in-proccess with
the rest of your app.  Or at least the developers don't think (and I guess I
agree now) that it's a good idea.  They could however make a library that
would start up the server in multiprocess mode and run it in the background.