Re: [SQL] count() question

От Mitch Vincent
Тема Re: [SQL] count() question
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> Why do you want to avoid that? If you need two different results then you
> probably have to use two different queries.

Speed, resource consumption and there might not be any need for it :-)

>I assume you need the count to
> display something like "x matches found" and use LIMIT/OFFSET to step
> through them page by page.

I do use LIMIT / OFFSET and that's part of the problem. I can't get a total
count from a query when I use LIMIT and OFFSET (at least I don't know how)..

> In that case there is really no way but to
> query twice. If your query is really complicated and slow you might want
> to put the complete query results in a temporary table, and select the
> count and the to-be-displayed data from there.

Indeed, that might be a better way to structure the search however at this
point I have to work withion what is already there (there is a huge
application built around the search engine). I am going to totally re-write
this but can't do that now, now I needed to add some functionality with a
minimum impact on the rest of the application.

If I have to do another query, so be it. I just wanted to make sure there
wasn't a way for me to do something like :

select * from applicants as a, count(*) as total where a.status = 'A' limit
10 offset 0

Of course I know I can't do that like that but thought there might be a
substitute or alternative way of getting the count from within the query.

-Mitch