Re: Large objects [BLOB] again - general howto

От Rick Gigger
Тема Re: Large objects [BLOB] again - general howto
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks!  This is exactly what I wanted to know when I first asked the
question.  And it is the only response that seems to make sense.  Does
anyone else have experiecne with this?

rg

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Here's a quick list of my experiences with BLOB's and such.

Performance is just fine, I get about 1M hits a month and haven't had
any problems. Use a BLOB if you don't need to search though the data.
The main reason being that bytea and text types are parsed. To explain,
your entire SQL statement has to be parsed to make sure it's valid, this
includes you 100 meg jpeg. Slow, REAL slow.

I have found that it is best to have a separate connection for BLOB's
and one for everything else. Mind you, this is with Java, but the
autocommit settings on the connection don't appear to be thread safe, so
in high traffic you can accidentally cut off a transfer, or stop one
before it ever starts.

-jj-