Re: initdb/ipc-daemon error

От Kevin Schroeder
Тема Re: initdb/ipc-daemon error
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
    Well, the problem seems to be worked out.  The problem was that I was using the ipc-daemon program rather than the ipc-daemon2 program.  I decided to wipe my CygWin installation and start from scratch and realized that even though I installed cygipc the ipc-daemon wouldn't run.  So I looked at the directory where it should be and there was ipc-daemon2.exe.  I couldn't get it to run as a service, but if I double clicked it from explorer it would keep on running in the background.  Then I used the cygrunsrv program to set PostgreSQL to run as a service, removing the --dep ipc-daemon argument since it was running from explorer.  I tried starting up PostgreSQL and much to my surprise it started.

    Does anyone know when the native Windows PostgreSQL 7.4 will be out?  It would definitely be a benefit for people who want to use PostgreSQL on Windows.  I, myself, don't, but in order to satisfy project requirements you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Kevin
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] initdb/ipc-daemon error

Kevin Schroeder wrote:
Hello,
    I'm trying to get PostgreSQL running as a service on Windows and I'm having some issues getting the PostgreSQL system initialized.  I've got the IPC daemon running, ipctest seems to work (it's not reporting any errors) and I'm running it from the PostgreSQL user... in my case SRV_PostgreSQL.

    When I try to run initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data I get an error stating "IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: Function not implemented".  In checking the mailing lists the most common problem was the files in the /tmp directory or an outdated ipc-daemon program.  /tmp has been cleared (and the ipc-daemon program restarted from the Service Control window) and I'm using cygipc v 2.01.2 which I just updated today.

    Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks
Kevin Schroeder
I had this problem too, but ended up just using the command line and starting up manually. If you find a solution, i would be interested in it.
Thanks.
--
Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.