Re: data integrity

От Janning Vygen
Тема Re: data integrity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am Dienstag,  6. November 2001 00:17 schrieb Martín Marqués:
> On Lun 05 Nov 2001 18:06, you wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm using postgresql to manage a web site.
> >
> > Problem: How are people dealing with data integrity issues such
> > as stale data when writing web-based apps? For instance:
> >
> > The value of X is 7.
> >
> > Step (1) User A selects X.
> > Step (2) User B selects X.
> > Step (3) User A updates X to 8.
> > Step (4) User B updates X to 10 under the assumption that X is
> > still 7.
>
> Lock it with a SELECT ...... FOR UPDATE. The rows that are going to
> be updated will be locked, but not the entire table. :-)

I dont think that FOR UPDATE helps in this situation, but it might be
a misunderstanding.

FOR UPDATE locks the rows of the table for an update. right. but it
removes the lock if the transaction commits.

In a web based application you cant enforce a transaction between the
sending of a form and the exceuting of a submit.

Its an application problem: the data i see in my frontend are never
realtime. they might have change in the last seconds. But who cares.
If i want to have a value of 8 and another one wants a value of 10
its a question of whom granting write access.

janning

--
Planwerk 6 /websolutions
Herzogstraße 86