Re: Performance question (stripped down the problem)

От GB Clark II
Тема Re: Performance question (stripped down the problem)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 18 September 2001 07:06, Tille, Andreas wrote:
-SNIP-

> echo "SELECT Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie, Count(Hauptdaten_Fall.ID) AS
> Anz FROM Hauptdaten_Fall WHERE (((Hauptdaten_Fall.IstAktuell)=20)) GROUP BY
> Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie ORDER BY Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie;" |
> psql ifsgtest > result
>
> let i="`date +%s` - $START"
> echo "Query took ${i} seconds." >> result
>

> (which should just measure the time needed for this task).  It took my
> E250 (2x400MHz, 2GB) server 20 seconds and this is definitely much to
> long for our application.
>
> Any hints are gratly appreciated
>
>          Andreas.

Ok, I tried the query on two boxes:
#1 800Mhz duron IDE drives - 11 secs
#2 800Mhz P3 SCSI drives - 5.35 secs
NOTE: the P3 has alot larger buffers and stuff....(more mem..:))

What does the function plpgsql_call_handler do?
Could this be where the slow down is?

If it is minor, then how are your buffers and shared mem set?

I am by NO means an expert, but I'm quite willing to help if I can.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek