example of [outer] join

От Gary Stainburn
Тема example of [outer] join
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi, me again.

I'm having fun here, but here's another question for you.

Could someone please give me an example of a join where one of the fields is
missing - I think reading from the docs that this is an OUTER join, but I'm
having a problem with the syntax.  I'm trying to create a view that pulls in
all the relevent details for a single member.

I'm still with my members table, which has links to the address table (m.madd
= a.aid), teams table (m.mteam = t.tid) and the email table (m.memail =
e.eid).

While every member has an address, and every member belongs to a team, not
everyone has an email address.  My problem is that every member without an
email address gets omitted from the result set.

My view so far is:
CREATE view member_dets as  select *,         getphone(m.mphone) as phone,         getphone(m.mfax) as fax,
getphone(m.mmobile)as mobile,        getunitno(m.mid) as munitno   from members m,         address a,        teams t,
    emails e  where m.madd = a.aid and        m.memail = e.eid and        m.mteam = t.tid;

--
Gary Stainburn