Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Horst Herb
Тема Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 19 July 2001 06:08, you wrote:

> I think it should be off on user tables by default, but kept on system
> tables just for completeness.  It could be added at table creation time
> or from ALTER TABLEL ADD.  It seems we just use them too much for system
> stuff.  pg_description is just one example.

and what difference should it make, to have a few extra hundred or thousand
OIDs used by system tables, when I insert daily some ten thousand records
each using an OID for itself?

Why not make OIDs 64 bit? Might slow down a little on legacy hardware, but in
a couple of years we'll all run 64 bit hardware anyway.

I believe that just using 64 bit would require the least changes to Postgres.
Now, why would that look that obvious to me and yet I saw no mentioing of
this in the recent postings. Surely it has been discussed before, so which is
the point I miss or don't understand?

I would need 64 bit sequences anyway, as it is predictable that our table for
pathology results will run out of unique IDs in a couple of years.

Horst