Re: Need help with search-and-replace

От Christopher Sawtell
Тема Re: Need help with search-and-replace
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Sunday 06 May 2001 10:27, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
>     I need to strip certain columns out of my pgdump file.  However, I
> can't figure out how to use any Unix-based tool to search-and-replace a
> specific value which includes a tab character (e.g. replace "{TAB}7
> 00:00:00" with "" to eliminate the column).

In other words you wish to remove one field from a tab delimited file?

>     RIght now, I'm copying the file to a Win32 machine and using MS Word
> for the search-and-replace,

Oh no!  MS is bound to screw it up somehow.

> but I'm sure there's got to be a better way
> ... *without* learning VI or Emacs.  Help

man cut  is your friend.
info cut  is another friend if you are on a GNU system.

cat the.file | cut  -f1,3-   # assuming is the field you wish to remove is
the second one.

cut uses the tab character as the delimiter by default.

single line file attached

--
Sincerely etc.,
NAME       Christopher SawtellCELL PHONE 021 257 4451ICQ UIN    45863470EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nzCNOTES