Re: last comma inside "CREATE TABLE ()" statements

От Mike Finn
Тема Re: last comma inside "CREATE TABLE ()" statements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sunday 22 April 2001 10:21, you wrote:

> .... however, this seems like a reasonable idea that would not introduce
> any major problems.  I have no objections, if someone wants to submit
> a grammar patch.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Please don't.  IMHO This would be an unnecessary 'extension' to postgresql
that would allow scipts and a syntax that will generate errors when used on
other DB's.

We have moved all our projects from an Oracle 8 environment to postgress and
really appreciate the flexibility, and quality without the undue complexity
of running Oracle.  We were able to do this fairly easily (about 1 day for
half a dozen databases/applications each with about 5gig data) because our
schema scripts ran without error the first time.

By permitting sloppy syntax 'portability' could become 'no-so-portable' .
Yes we could just make sure that we avoid sloppy syntax but it is great to
have the parser say 'hey that was wrong, fix it and I won't complain again'.
I'm more than happy to fix it now and know that I can use it later without
hassle.

Just my 2 (okay maybe 3) cents.

Mike.

Mike Finn