Re: Re: Latin2 and Unicode problems

От Grzegorz Mucha
Тема Re: Re: Latin2 and Unicode problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I'm confused. Did you enable the locale support only?

Sorry then. Well, I tested two cases:
- pg compiled only with enable locale and iso8859-2 works
- pg compiled with locale, enable unicode and unicode conversion doesn't
work as it should.

> That's because locale support (--enable-locale) does not consider
> about the Unicode support. (that's not the locale support's fault,
> since it was developped before the Unicode support appears). When you
> create the unicode database, everything is represented in the UTF-8
> encoding. However, the locale support thinks that it is ISO 8859-2 (in
> your case) and it try to do the case conversion using the ISO 8859-2
> locale. As a result, you see invalid UTF-8 sequences.
>
> Does it match your situation?

Actually, that may be it. I stopped getting the messages after compiling
without locale support, but with Unicode. But there is still the problem
of not working sorting and conversions. Only option I can think of would
be to somehow set the system locale to pl_PL.UTF-8 (I don't even know if
there's such option). Please let me know if there is another way to do it.

--
Grzegorz Mucha <mucher@tigana.pl> ICQ #91619595, tel.(502)261417
Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.