Fwd: Silly question about numbering of rows?

От Ken Corey
Тема Fwd: Silly question about numbering of rows?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Moderator, please don't approve the other two posts I've made...just this one
is plenty...;^)

Hi All,

I haven't posted a silly question in a while, and didn't want to break my
streak...

I have a table like this:

        id |      make | model | year  | value
---------+-----------+--------+-------+-------
       57 |            2 |        0 |       4 |  4750
       57 |            2 |        3 |       4 |  4750
       57 |            2 |        0 |       0 |  4750
       57 |            2 |        0 |       3 |  4750
       57 |            2 |        3 |       0 |  4750
       57 |            2 |        3 |       3 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        0 |       3 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        3 |       3 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        0 |       4 |  4350
         2 |            2 |        3 |       4 |  4350
         2 |            2 |        0 |       0 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        0 |       5 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        3 |       0 |  4750
         2 |            2 |        3 |       5 |  4750

I want to be able to select from this table like this:

select
    <numbering magic>, id, value
  from
    mytable
 where
    make=2
    model=3
    and year=5
 order by score desc;

which would return this:
nbring |        id | value
-------+---------+-------
       1 |       57 |  4750
       2 |         2 |  4350

Everything is working swimmingly, except for the numbering magic.  As you can
see there are several variations of data in that table, so I can't use a
serial on the table directly.

Further, this table is likely to change on a minute by minute basis, so I
don't want to create a permanent numbering that will just have to be changed.

I thought about creating a temporary table with a serial and selecting into
that so that a numbering is created and then returning rows from that, but
that sounds like much busywork for the database.

It sounds easiest to me to just punt and number the rows as they are returned
in my calling application...

What's the best approach here?

--
Ken Corey, CTO    Atomic Interactive, Ltd.   ken.corey@atomic-interactive.com