Re: Large difference between elapsed time and run time

От Jeffrey D. Brower
Тема Re: Large difference between elapsed time and run time
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Excuse me for butting into this conversation but I would LOVE to know exactly how you manage that pooling because I have this same issue.  When I run a test selection using psql I get sub-second response time and when I use the online (a separate machine dedicated to http) and do a pg_connect to the database using PHP4 I hit 45-50 second response times.  I even tried changing the connection to a persistent connection with pg_pconnect and I get the same thing.  I installed the database on the http machine and the responses are much quicker, but still not quite ideal.

My question is how are you accomplishing the connection pooling?

     Jeff
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 3:46 AM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Large difference between elapsed time and run time

Hi,

I have noted similar issues in the past - and seemed then that most of the overhead bottleneck was due to establishing a new connection in the front end.  As soon as I started using connection pooling, with connections made when the app initialises, and then recycled for each request (i.e. the connections never close) then the execution time was far quicker.

I have also noticed that sparc processor speed, num processors, disk space and memory seems to makes little difference with postgres (for us anyway!) performance - e.g. performance no better with dual sparc 450mhz, 2 scsi disks, 1Gb mem - than on a single processor 400 mhz Netra, 256Mb ram with a single IDE disk!

Nikk