Re: 7.4 Wishlist

От Al Sutton
Тема Re: 7.4 Wishlist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
My list is;

Point to Point and Broadcast replication
With point to point you specify multiple endpoints, with broadcast you can
specify a subnet address and the updates are broadcast over that subnet.

The difference being that point to point works well for cross network
replication, or where you have a few replicants. I have multiple database
servers which could have a deadicated class C network that they are all on,
by broadcasting updates you can cutdown the amount of traffic on that net by
a factor of n minus 1 (where n is the number of servers involved).

Ability to use raw partitions
----------------------------

I've not seen an install of PostgreSQL yet that didn't put the database
files onto a filesystem, so I'm assuming it's the only way of doing it. By
using the filesystem the files are at the mercy of filesystem handler code
as to where they end up on the disk, and thus the speed of access will
always have some dependancy on the speed of the filesystem.

With a raw partition it would be possible to use two devices (e.g. /dev/hde
and /dev/hdg on an eight channel ide linux box), and PostgreSQL could then
ensure the WALs were located on one the disk with the entries running
sequentally, and that the database files were located on the other disk in
the most appropriate location (e.g. index data starting near the center of
the disk, and user table data starting near the outside).

Win32 Port
I've explained the reasons before. Apart from that it's always useful to
open PostgreSQL up to a larger audience.